the earliest credible evidence of coffee drinking appears in the middle of the 15th century in the Sufi shrines of Yemen. Coffee bean is a seed of a cherry fruit that grows on a tree or a bush. Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world second only to oil. There are over 50 species of coffee worldwide. However, I like tea much more :).
My little daughter has been waking up too early for the whole past week. It didn't seem that she was going to reconsider her schedule, so I had to reconsider mine. Although I am a morning person, but even for me 3am is still the middle of the night. So... I started drinking morning coffee and found that it is a very nice habit. I am adding a spoon of ice cream and we are both enjoying our cup of coffee - Liya is playing with my spoon while I am drinking.
Coffee with an ice cream is good, but I wanted to find some more recipes. I went to Google of course :) It always amazes me how much information is shared over the internet. I found a few ideas for coffee preparation, but I also found many things about coffee that I didn't know before.
Did you know that:
1. Coffee was first discovered by a goat!
In the 9th century Ethiopian shepherds noticed
that goats act strange after eating the cherries
from the coffee tree.
This fact wasn't documented until the 16-th century.
2. Originally coffee was eaten. African tribes mixed coffee beans with fat and made energy balls :)
3. All coffee in the world grows in the bean belt.
Hawaii is the only state in US that grows coffee.
4. 70% of the world consume Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remain 30% drink Robusta, which is more bitter-tasting but has 50% more caffeine than Arabica.
5. Kopi luwak , or civet coffee, is the world's most expensive and low-production variety of coffee.
It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.